44 Gaukel First Floor Creative Workspaces available!
This space is available for lease to artists, creatives, non-profits and innovators!
Located on the first floor of 44 Gaukel in Downtown Kitchener – directly on the ION route – across from beautiful Victoria Park. Work alongside other creatives in a community environment built on collaboration and cross-sectoral interaction!
Cost of Space Includes:
- Lockable private office or workshop space
- Private bookable meeting room
- Shared kitchenette & restrooms
- Access to artist cleanup sink
- Security, internet and cleaning of common areas
Amenities at an additional cost:
- Bookable rehearsal space on the second floor
- Bookable meeting space on the second floor after 5pm (ideal for board meetings and small gatherings)
- Bookable event space on the first floor
Licence agreements for tenant spaces on 44 Gaukel’s ground floor are available for four- to 24-month terms. Monthly rents range from $1.16 to $2 per square foot, with rates calculated based on the space dimensions and a tenant criteria evaluation conducted by ArtsBuild Ontario staff. Multiple artists can arrange to share a tenant space at the discretion of the City of Kitchener.
- Space 3 (434 square feet) = from $506 to $868 per month
- Space 4 (437 sq. ft.) = from $509 to $874 per month
- Space 10 (498 sq. ft.) = from $664 to $916 per month
- Space 11 (498 sq. ft.) = from $581 to $916 per month
See floor plan for space layout.
Lower rates are determined based on the following criteria:
Tenants can lower their rate up to $0.33 per sq. ft. with at least two criteria from this section ($0.165 per criteria)
- Practicing artist based in Waterloo Region
- Arts-based organization active in Waterloo Region
- Registered not-for-profit organization
- Registered charitable organization
Tenants can lower their rate up to $0.33 per sq. ft. with up to two criteria from this section ($0.165 per criteria)
- Rental of multiple rooms on 44 Gaukel’s first floor
- Rental of rooms with no windows on 44 Gaukel’s first floor
Tenants can lower their rate by an additional $0.165 per sq. ft. by committing to one criteria in this section
- Hosting a bimonthly public event in 44 Gaukel’s flex space
- Active participation in 44 Gaukel’s publicity working group
Calculating Discounted Rates
Formula = rate per square foot x square footage of the space
Example: A renter is interested in Space 3 which is 434 square feet. The renter has demonstrated they have the following tenant criteria:
- The renter is an artist (qualifies for $0.165 discount on square footage rate)
- The space has no windows (qualifies for $0.165 discount on square footage rate)
- The renter wants to participate in 44 Gaukel’s publicity working group (qualifies for $0.165 discount on square footage rate).
The renter would qualify for a discount of $0.495 off of $2 per square foot. The rental rate would be $1.505 per square foot, or $653 + HST per month.
Please send questions about 44 Gaukel or its rental rating system, as well as viewing requests, to Alex Glass, Interim Executive Director of ArtsBuild Ontario at firstname.lastname@example.org or 519-880-3670 ext 103.